Quantum Physics

Reply to Steve from Tim

>What I _meant_ to say is that we would _not_ be able to steer.  The
>particle would disappear, but you would have no idea where it would appear.

Yes, I understood that.

>But, particles _can move faster than light, the tunneling effect is known
>to take exactly zero time to travel some finite distance, therefore speed
>of light is not the unbreakable limit we have been taught.  Of course,
>tunneling is a _very_ _very_ short range phenomenon.  now i suppose if
>you could controll the tunneling, so that all the atoms in the ship
>tunneled a few nanometers at the same time, and then immediatly did it
>again, you could in theory travel faster than the speed of light, since
>you wouldn't really be in this universe (kinda like hyperspace?)  but
>that begs the question, when an electron tunnels a barrier, where does it
>go between here and there?

I wonder what magazine you read that stated this. Since I've no written
anti-proof I will ask my quantum-physics teacher tomorrow.
I know it is a short range (Low energy level) phenomenon (just like all
quantum-physics) but that it takes exactly zero time I've never heard of.

>Since mercury's rotation is on the order of it's orbital period, i think
>tracking would not be a problem.  Not really sure what orbit a waveguide
>would occupy

It still moves 47 km per second, but I don't know how accurate telescopes
are, I will try finding someone who knows, until then I've no other comments
with respect to the problem.

>As for josepson junctions, i obviously don't know what I'm talking about,
>so i will shut up.

I don't know that much either :| but I listened once to a talk about it
(although forgot most of it). When you brought it up, I went to the library
to sort it out, what I read there faguely reminded me what I had heard before.

Timothy