Re: Chit-chat Absolutly _NO_ Tech Data

On Mon, 22 Jan 1996, Timothy van der Linden wrote:

> I just had never heard that 1 foot was 12 inches. It's like knowing what a
> decimetre is and what a centimetre but not knowing that it takes 10
> centimetres to get a decimetre. The dodecimal numbering had not reached my
> mind until yesterday.
> Do you also use yards, chains and furlongs?

yes, I find yards are a very convienent measurement for most human-scale
projects longer than 3 feet.  Of course, the metre is only slightly
longer, so it's really a moot point (BTW, the word is MOOT, not MUTE.
Although I understand what was meant <and Tim's not the only one who uses
it Kelly ;) > I do find it somewhat irratating) But I wont resort to
spell-flameing.  I really find yards useful in the 100-300 yd range, as
you can easily compare to a football field (that's football, not Soccer)

As for Chains, i was not aware that the unit existed, how long is it, and
what is the unit of force if you accelerate a one slug mass at g0 for a
length of one chain?  :)

And since I am still working for the Goverment, Please don't use the word
furlough  (oops, my mistake, I see you said "furlong", oh well no harm then)

> As I also noticed there go 16 ounces in a pound.

Yup, and eight liquid ounces in a cup, and two cups to the pint, and one
pint of water to the pound.  Isn't it amazing how all our units of
measurement keep being based on water?

> When are the Americans switching to SI units? The English now have an
> official law that prohibits the public use (in stores) of the English units.

I don't know, every time someone brings it up, all the companies cry
tears about all the money they will lose.  and all the consumer groups
(buncha' Ludites) say that they won't possibly be able to keep from being
cheated by dishonest manufacturers who will try to make everything seem
bigger by displaying the weight, volume or whatever in the smallest SI
Units possible.  Imagine, you could get 500 ml of soda for only $2.50 why
that just 1/2 a penny per ml!   >8-0

> > By the way it is here -2 degrees Celcius :) So about 29 degrees Fahrenheit.
> Yes, the Dutch people always talk about the weather :)

Oh, you guys have it easy! Right now it is -5 farenheit, thats about -23
Celcius.  and we won't even talk about the wind chill!  Last week, we had
wind chills in the -75 Farenheit range (-92 Celcius)

anyone know a good sniley for "teeth chattering" all I can think of is *8-><
but I think it looks more like "man just got hit in the Gonads"

Kevin