Re: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE

KellySt@aol.com wrote:

> Now adays whole coutries can't get enough people to be self suficenty.  You
> expect a few hudred folks in a ship to do it?

I guess I have read too much "Mother Earth News" in my youth. Countries
have different resource bases, Canada is great for wheat, lousy for
Bananas.
One Could grow them in green houses, but it cheaper to trade wheat for
bananas.
( Fictional example ). To recycle costs more ( $ wise ) than to throw
out
and buy new raw material.

> Where do you get this idea from?  And do you consider the rest of the factry
> to turn those wafers into stacks of usable chips?  Then stacks of circut
> board?  Circut board designers?  System designers/manufacturing?

  Nope -- use for repair of damaged equipment.  Solid state logic
lasts a long time, providing 1) operates cool
2) Not pressured to by a new product from M$ or Intel.

> Actually the demands will be higher in the sartificial environment of the
> ship.  Much less the fact the ship will be presumably doing exploration and
> researh, which takes more exotic equipment.

 What is sacrificial about the equipment? It breaks -- repair it. Just
avoid the "Green Slime Creatures". I assume by this time in-system
transport is fast and reliable, with asteroid mining down pat for raw
materials.

> >A robotic - mining factory with only 25 people for exotic material might
> >make
> >a stock-holders rich,but will not do much for colonizing a planet.
>
> Your point?  We can't colonize any planets we find out there.  Even if we
> could, since we can't make the starship self suficent, supporting the remote
> colony from here would be even more impossible.

By 2150? I assume that we would have self-sufficient colonies on other
planets
and they would be more supportive than mother Earth.

Si-fi break --- the United federation of planets ( star trek )
            was just that until warp drive was discovered.

Nasa does not make $$$, why must I?

--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."