Re: RE: RE: starship-design: Casimir-Foreward balloon

In a message dated 1/16/00 9:07:51 PM, chithree@boo.net writes:

>> Opinion: interstellar travel is impossible with today's technology.
>> Somebody has either got to figure out a way to build an extremely exotic
>> engine, preferably one that uses little to no reaction mass to operate,
>or
>> a sail-type vehicle that can work. We can't do much with the former,
>but we
>> can probably work on the latter.

Its not impossible.  We've defined designs that could get to the closer star
systems, at .4+ c, with mid 21st tech.  It would be impossible to pay for
with the maunfacturing equipment we have, but needing new generatins of
automated consructin gear is not the same as impossible.

Kelly