Re: starship-design: Interstellar Exploration Ship Design

In a message dated 1/16/00 10:25:12 PM, lparker@cacaphony.net writes:

>Untitled StationeryLong ago we were discussing crew complements and
>
>structure for an Explorer class vessel and I made the suggestion that we
>
>should perhaps look to submarines for clues on the endurance of such a
>crew
>
>and to aircraft carriers for the rest. We all agreed that even though these
>
>weren't terribly good analogies, it seems these are the closest we have.
>

>After watching a program last month on carrier battle group operations,
>
>think our problem is even worse than I thought. Although I knew that in
>many
>
>ways a carrier was self-sufficient, it seems that in many others it is
>not.
>
>I was not aware of just how much resupply goes on at sea. An aircraft
>
>carrier, for all its size leaves port stuffed to the bulkheads with
>
>consumable supplies which _get this_ all have to be replaced while underway!
>

>We are talking a six month deployment here...not six years or even sixty
>
>years. I am beginning to have serious doubts about slow ships (0.3c or
>
>less). I no longer believe it is possible to stuff enough food onboard
>for
>
>an Explorer class vessel. So we are back to growing it enroute. Or a MUCH
>
>faster vessel.
>

>Warp Drive When?
>

>Lee

In the analysis I did on the Explorer Class, it could carry all the suplies
it would need.  We were assuming a thousand or so people (as I remember) and
weren't volume constrianed.  You could carry 25 of primary (grocery storish)
food and another couple decades of dehydrated.

Not having to feed 10,000 people and a hundred or so very active aircraftis a
big advantage.  When we get to the target system and operate fleets of
explorer craft, they will start burning through spares, even with best
avalible on board manufacturing gear.  After a couple of years of ops those
craft will be burned out, but by then its time to come home.

Kelly