Re: starship-design: Power - T.E.M.I

Jonathan,

Why did your friend want to inform this mailing list of his experiment
while it still is in a premature phase (it has been running only 3 weeks)?
This list can't function if we can't have more exact data or theory.

The availability of infinite obtainable energy in a small container would
make a large part of the subjects of this list useless. This is not a
problem, however such devices need more backup than a single university
friend who "believes" that it will work. Only freedom of information (if
necessary through a patent) about the device will serve as enough backup.
This mailing list can't function in any other way.

If your friend merely did want to ask how he could avoid rapid cooling of
the device in space, then the answer is simple: Insulation.
But of course the propulsion system we need should release enough energy
per second to accelerate a heavy starship. The heating of the device would
only be a fraction of the power compared to the power needed for acceleration.

Timothy