RE: starship-design: Re: re: sorry about last email

> From: "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
>
> On Monday, December 15, 1997 1:07 PM, Kelly St [SMTP:KellySt@aol.com]
> wrote:
> > Problem is no one knows how to do "cryofreeze". People talk about it
> > a lot in science fiction films and books, but all actual attempts have
> > killed all the test animals.  Also as a practical matter someone has
> > to keep the ship repaired.
> >
> Hey, I thought someone did this with frogs or something a few years ago?
> Not my area, anyone remember?

I do not know about such (successful) experiments conducted by people.
But certain frogs make it routinely all by themselves -
becoming frozen for the winter and waking healthy in the spring
(sometimes even after several years). They have physiological
adaptation for that - among others, special substances
in body cells preventing crystalization of ice (which would lead
to disruption of cell structure). So, in theory it is not impossible.
If, and how, it is possible to make artificially with organisms
(like humans) which do not have such natural adaptations
is still an open question, though.
It requires, I am afraid, much deeper knowledge in
molecular biology and great advances in biotechnology.
I personally believe it will be possible with advanced nanotechnology
(some 50+ yrs, to toss a careless prediction ;-).

-- Zenon