RE: Re: starship-design: Battleship galactica?

On Saturday, October 04, 1997 1:13 AM, KellySt@aol.com
[SMTP:KellySt@aol.com] wrote:

> As a nit, even unadvanced animals could pose a MAJOR danger.  Did you
> know
> some folks think T-Rex's might have hunted in packs?
>
> First rule of old explorers.  Where ever you go, bring a BIG gun!  ;)

I wasn't suggesting that prudent weaponry wasn't a good idea, just pointing
out that 100 gigajoule grasers weren't likely to be needed in our LOCAL
area. If you want armament on an exploration vessel, I would agree that it
might be wise, just in case.

However, I still think that we should be able to detect anything we are
capable of successfully fighting at interstellar distances, and anything we
can't detect is either too primitive to worry about, or so advanced we
might as well not bother.

Lee Parker