Re: starship-design: This and that.

kyle wrote:

> Steve VanDevender wrote:
> >
> > kyle writes:
> >
> >  > Here's a web page:
> >  >
> >  > http://mist.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw75.html
> >
> > Already read it, after it was mentioned by Ken Wharton.  Besides not
> > being a cut-and-dried experiment, it also indicates that _if_ it can be
> > scaled up to produce FTL communication, it will need a physical "pipe"
> > of waveguides and amplifiers to work at all.  Perhaps useful for doing
> > land-based FTL communication (again, _if_ it works when scaled up!) but
> > by no means a starship drive.  It will be interesting to see what comes
> > of it.

Seems you are out of phase I  "That's impossible!", and are now into
phase II, "It may be possible, but it's not practical".  }8-)

Yes, it's nowhere near a FTL drive, but it seems to me that if you could
expel FTL photons, you'd have a nice FTL drive.

--
Kevin "Tex" Houston 		http://umn.edu/~hous0042/index.html
Webmaster			http://www.urly-bird.com/index.html