Re: starship-design: Atmosphere is necesary!

In a message dated 6/15/97 11:36:14 AM, stk@sunherald.infi.net (kyle) wrote:

>Greetings again.
>
>Found something interesting: An old newsletter circa 4/29/96 (its in the
>records of old newsletters) said that you had sent a flyby mission. I
>saw
>the fractal images, so I ask myself, "why couldn't we get an atmosphere
>reading?"
>Heck, it was close enough, the green indicates life, the water is there.
>How
>about Atmospheric compostion. We desperately need to have this. Please
>advise.
>Perhaps I'm mistaken about the flyby, but composition is necessary!
>Respond
>whenever you have time.
>
>			Thanks,
>			Kyle Mcallister

High res telescope could see the planets as well as a small fly-by probe.
 Atmospheric composition would be easy.  I 'think' you can figure out
atmospheric density by imaging the limb of the planet via the scopes.  Not
sure thou.

Kelly

P.S.
Of course it would be argued that if you can get to much info via the scopes,
why send the ships?