starship-design: Majordomo chat

Zenon wrote:
>> I think we should turn this option off, just to be save. I've been on other
>> mailing lists and usually they don't allow that option anymore because it
>> often has been misused (adverticements?)
>>
>Do not see a  problem. Majordomo sends the list
>ONLY to the list subscribers, otherwise it refuses.
>I have tested it, while fixing my e-mail address problems
>on this list...

Yes, but what matters is that bad-willing people have access to names that
they in theory only few should have access to.

>Yes, such rules are good, though on our list I see most of them
>are observed most of the time (possibly except occassional extensive
>quotations of whole letters, long header and sig included...)

These days the rules may not be necessary, but believe me, when this list
one day will have over a hundred participants, this may become different.

>> Regarding a newsgroup, why not have two mailing lists, one weekly and one
>> continuous list? One could make both lists so that all letter are directly
>> published on the web (or with one or two days in delay, to sift out some
>> weird stuff if needed).
>>
>But then the letter/answer cycle will be still short-term
>(on the continuous list - which causes most of the irrelevant chit-chat),
>and the weekly on-the-Web "newsletter" in fact can (and will) be used
>rather as an easy accessible archive only.

No, don't think so, some of the people will be in both lists, and mail the
important things to the once-a-week group.

Of course people could also chit-chat besides the group when some
uncertainties are present, I guess that even now that happens.

Timothy