Re: minor stuff...

Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Kevin Houston writes:
>  > Steve VanDevender wrote:
>  > > Actually, I have been thinking about offering this very service.  I have
>  > > at least two permanently-connected machines I would be able to run such
>  > > a list from (jcomm.uoregon.edu and hexadecimal.uoregon.edu), and this
>  > > list is small enough and low enough in traffic that I could even run the
>  > > list manually.
>  > >
>  > > If people are interested I could create a list on my work machine,
>  > > hexadecimal.uoregon.edu with all the current names.  I think the only
>  > > question is what we'd want to call the list -- mini-lit?
>  > > starship-design?
>  > >
>  > > I wouldn't attach any strings to hosting the list, and I would honor any
>  > > subscription or unsubscription requests sent to the list-request or
>  > > owner-list addresses.  If I get ambitious I could probably even create
>  > > a digest version in addition to the simple mail reflector.
>  >
>  > Steve, I'm not sure I understand what you are proposeing.  Are you
>  > saying that when I send a e-mail to listserv@wherever it would
>  > automatically bounce to all the members?  Or are you saying that the
>  > messages would stack up for a while, and then one e-mail would be
>  > sent to each of us on a weekly basis (or whenever) and would you be
>  > able to handle the addition of new members (several hundred?)
>  >
>  > If it is the former, then I don't think that is an improvement, but
>  > if it is the latter, then it sounds like a good idea to me (assuming
>  > that LIT doesn't move to Urly-bird.com)
>
> Let me restate what I'm proposing:
>
> I would create a mailing list, for the purposes of this example
> mini-lit@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu.  Mail to
> mini-lit@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu would go to all current recipients of
> this message; it would be implemented as a mail alias so remailing of
> messages would be instant and automatic.  People could subscribe or
> unsubscribe by mailing to mini-lit-request@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu or
> owner-mini-lit@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu.  For now I'd probably just
> handle the mailing list manually rather than using automated mailing
> list software, and consider the automated mailing list if volume became
> very high.
>
> If there is interest I could also create a mini-lit-digest that would
> send multi-message digests rather than individual messages.  It would be
> an option in addition to the mini-lit mail reflector, not a replacement.
>
> I'm proposing this as a convenience to current subscribers to the
> current mini-lit.  Rather than have to handle a long recipient list or
> remember who is and isn't on the list, I'm willing to set up a service
> so that people can just mail to mini-lit@hexadecimal.uoregon.edu, which
> would simplify submissions and make it easier for recipients to
> [...]

Oh,  I see.  Well, That's different then -- Never Mind!  ;)

Seriously, that sounds good.  Answers all my questions.  I'm for that.
--
Kevin "Tex" Houston 	http://umn.edu/~hous0042/index.html

Every time a third party candidate comes up, both major parties say:
"You can't vote for him, you'll just be handing the election to the other guy"
Well, Democrat and Republican are just two different names for the same thief,
So what does it really matter?  This time I'm voting Libertarian.
Harry Browne for President.  http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/   (800) 682-1776