Re: minor stuff...

Steve VanDevender wrote:

> Brandon Neill writes:
>  > Hello,
>  > I've been reading this group for quite a while now and have recently
>  > started conversing in it too.  I was just wondering if anyone has thought
>  > about creating a mailing list for this group.  It would make filing and
>  > stuff like that a lot easier as everything would come from the same
>  > address,  it would also facilitate automatic archiving if desired.  I
>  > would assume that someone has a server that listserv or something could be
>  > run on.
>  >
>  > Brandon Neill
>
> Actually, I have been thinking about offering this very service.  I have
> at least two permanently-connected machines I would be able to run such
> a list from (jcomm.uoregon.edu and hexadecimal.uoregon.edu), and this
> list is small enough and low enough in traffic that I could even run the
> list manually.
>
> If people are interested I could create a list on my work machine,
> hexadecimal.uoregon.edu with all the current names.  I think the only
> question is what we'd want to call the list -- mini-lit?
> starship-design?
>
> I wouldn't attach any strings to hosting the list, and I would honor any
> subscription or unsubscription requests sent to the list-request or
> owner-list addresses.  If I get ambitious I could probably even create
> a digest version in addition to the simple mail reflector.

Steve, I'm not sure I understand what you are proposeing.  Are you saying that
when I send a e-mail to listserv@wherever it would automatically bounce to all
the members?  Or are you saying that the messages would stack up for a while,
and then one e-mail would be sent to each of us on a weekly basis (or whenever)
and would you be able to handle the addition of new members  (several hundred?)

If it is the former, then I don't think that is an improvement, but if it is the
latter, then it sounds like a good idea to me (assuming that LIT doesn't move to
Urly-bird.com)

And while we're on the subject, Since I've heard little in the way of opinions
on my offer to host LIT on Urly-bird.com,  I'm going to assume that most members
are ambivilent at best, and opposed (and not wishing to hurt my feelings) at worst.

I have decided to go with the server anyway, (I have a new client and they need
server space as well as a web page.  This means I will have 30 Megs of storage,
and about 2 Megs of content.  My offer to host LIT still stands, don't worry about
running me out of server space, by the time I get near enough to 30 Megs to cause
concern, I'll have enough clients to cover the cost of more storage space.

I have gotten enough offers of money (I promised to keep the names secret) to cover
any start-up costs associated with this move, so I will not be asking for any more.
I would like it if LIT would allow Urly-bird to run _one_ banner ad on the index.html
page, but I would not insist on this.  Whether or not LIT runs ads on it's other
pages, is a matter for us to decide at a future date.

I am asking for your opinions at this time.  If you think this is a good idea,
please say so, if you think it is a bad idea please say so also (I promise I won't
be offended)  If I don't hear from a majority of the group by friday, July 27th, I
will assume that not enough people want to do it, and I will withdraw my offer and
speak no more of it.

--
Kevin "Tex" Houston 	http://umn.edu/~hous0042/urlybird.html