Re: Another piece of the puzzle?

At 3:11 PM 3/12/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>To Kelly,
>
>>>Do you know the name of such materials?
>>>Why are you so sure these materials aren't easely made?
>>
>>Some crystals twist the polarization of light that shines through it.
>>Don't know about the power absorbtion thou.
>
>Yes, now that you say it, I can remember, the amount of rotation depends on
>the length of the crystal.

Sounds right.  About all I remember for sure is that the polorized pictures
looked cool.

>>>Yes, it would reflect or let through only one polarisation. But I still need
>>>a  polarization changer at the retro-mirror.
>>>So one piece is already there, now the other one...
>>
>>Sounds like the reflector would be a series of angular reflectors.  They
>>would reflect the beam a couple of times at angles that would twist the
>>polorization before returning it.
>
>With angular reflector you mean a mirror that reflects with an angle unequal
>to 180 degrees?
>
>If I'm informed right, reflection will (in the end) not give you any
>rotation the polarization.

I beleave that the polorization is changed when it reflects off a flat
surface.  I.E. Light or radio waves are poloried by reflecting off water or
glass at an angle.  (A serious problem for TV transmitters in the land of
skyscrapers!)  If you made the reflector out of a lot of piramid like
reflectors aranged at the right angle it should allow you to change the
polorization angle by reflection.

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company