Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

> > Interesting outlook, but I think everyone will still want access to a
> > PC, and, as long as it's there . . .
>
> Got any ideas for a small space ready computer - let me know while
> I still have paper left. :)

Well, I had a few thoughts (while watching Lost In Space, of all things.).
First, the bit most likely to get damaged is going to be the interface.
Namely screen and keyboard.  Millitary-type risc processors are pretty
reliable and don't need much in the way of cooling.
The way I thought, you'd want the actuall processing/storage units to be
seperate from the UI.
One thought was a LCD touchscreen & flatpanel-speaker module, that could be
as standard, and be interchangeable with all terminals.  Graphics and sound
processors all built into the module, with a flash memory unit that could
set up the interface to whatever it's being pluged into.  Being plugged into
the environmental controls?  The control processor uploads the display
protocols to the flash memory, and it's ready to run.
Keeping the computer system in standardised but modular units, would make
both repairs and upgrades a lot easier.

What I am not saying though is that these should be the only units.  the
computer makes certain jobs faster, but you need a manual backup.  Actuall
valves you can turn, switches you can flip.  In the worst cases of all, you
can grip a wrench onto a valve and turn it, or short two wires together,
something you can't do with a computer.

> > I fully agree with this. People are putting processors into things
> > like toasters, now, just because they can, and because they think
> > it'll sell more goods. A space colony could not afford to operate on
> > this kind of thinking. And, when you think about it, we can't either,
> > at least not indefinitely.

Again, things essential to life and safety should be maintained in as
mechanical a sence as possible.  All things wear out eventually, but keeping
things within the range of someone with some sheet metal and a soldering
iron might be a good idea.

> The other problem is that a space colony is not fast a money maker.
> You want people thinking about 25+ years investment, not what is fast
> cash next week. I don't want a space colony to be a 'company town'.

What I can imagine is possibly some large space-faring organisation,
transporting collonists to another planet/world/station/whatever and helping
them get setup, in return for produce, minerals, etc.., until their dept is
paid up, at which point they are declared autonomous.
Thoughts?

Peter