Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

Ben Franchuk wrote:

> Paper! This is what is scare in space not computers.I must have
> used
> over 2,500 sheets of paper over over the last 2 years on my
> homebrew
> computers and I have not started past the prototype stage. Here I
> was talking about the big clunky things on your desk, or at least
> on my computer.

Interesting outlook, but I think everyone will still want access to a
PC, and, as long as it's there . . .

As far as what most paper is used for, it can be replaced with white
boards, chalk boards, and the good ole Magic Slate. But you have a
good point; paper would be an important finite resource.

> Each person needs to be a handyman. Leave the complex stuff to
> people
> with the training.
> >
> I expect a 10x larger ratio here for control computers,
> but remember a computer is a complex thing. Not every thing needs a
> computer -- when was the last time you
> saw a digital toilet.

Coming soon to a dealer near you . . . no kidding.

> Everything needs to be repariable/recyclable
> not computerized.

> Being self sufficient is very important for a habitat in space!
> BOOTSTRAP -- remember that key word.

I fully agree with this. People are putting processors into things
like toasters, now, just because they can, and because they think
it'll sell more goods. A space colony could not afford to operate on
this kind of thinking. And, when you think about it, we can't either,
at least not indefinitely.

Keep looking up,

Curtis

=====