Re: [Fwd: starship-design: HIGHLY OPTIMIZED TOLERANCE]

In a message dated 3/13/00 8:39:36 PM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>Curtis Manges wrote:
>
>> Sure. That's what got us where we are today. We aren't the fastest or
>strongest
>> in anything, but we're mediocre in so _many_ things that we've managed
>> overtake all of it. I've got a personal theory about space-faring races:
>one of
>> the requirements is that they be able to eat just about anything.
>>
>> Curtis
>
>Hmm I picture the Tasmanian devil from Bugs Bunny in a space suit.
>My own view is that the technology of a space faring race is about
>early 1980's era and very boot-strap-able. This is because things have
>be repair-able and easy to manufacture by hand if need be. In a closed
>environment the type of non recycle-able waste is the major limiting
>factor
>of growth. Take computers, you don't need Star-trek type technology to
>run 99% of the stuff computers are used for. What you need is simple
>rugged technology, that does not die after 10 years of storage or use.
>Ben.

Hate to tell you, but the Star Trek like tech would be to crude for a couple
decades from now, and a IC chip is a IC chip.  So using and old CPU is not
going to bye you anything.

The tech would probably be designed for more adaptability.  Things like the
Fractal robot systems, and general.

Kelly