Re: starship-design: Re: FTL travel

In a message dated 1/23/00 3:06:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

> Subj:  starship-design: Re: FTL travel
>  Date:    1/23/00 3:06:51 PM Pacific Standard Time
>  From:    bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca (Ben Franchuk)
>  Sender:  owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu
>  To:  STAR1SHIP@aol.com
>  CC:  starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu
>
>  STAR1SHIP@aol.com wrote:
>
>  > When a object reaches the effective range of the radar it does not need
>  > wait for a main bang pulse to arrive as they are continuly sent. The echo
>  > races toward the reciever at light speed. The radar is an anolog computer
>  > that takes data from sensors(ear) processes it in real time at light
speed
>  > give output. Zero is the processor time unlike digital processors that
> take a
>  > long time to process digital data thus the output is not in
realtime(now)
> but
>  > past time(then). Two of your named variable parameters are actually zero
> not
>  > micro seconds so the max velocity detectable is mass at light speed.
>
>  Processing time in Real life is not zero. In the example I used
>  processing
>  time for a ACTIVE deflection was 3 us. This requires a speed of 1/3C to
>  permit
>  real time processing with this delay. A zap-o laser beam to vaporize
>  space
>  dust would not have that delay.
>
>  > Tom

In a message dated 1/23/00 3:06:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

>  Processing time in Real life is not zero. In the example I used
>  processing
>  time for a ACTIVE deflection was 3 us. This requires a speed of 1/3C to
>  permit

You are correct not zero but at light speed the input is converted to output
as the time is measured by the time it takes electricity to travel the length
of the wire paths in the anolog computer. At that speed the processing time
is measured in pico seconds. Your example was a poor one with much greater
time than is needed.

>  real time processing with this delay. A zap-o laser beam to vaporize
>  space
>  dust would not have that delay.

Not a bad idea,  might use one of them also but you must know that the time
needed for an laser to ommit light from the mirror requires it bounce many
times between mirrors to develop the energy to lase. Then there is all that
gas pumping time under the laser table for the high power lasers consider :=).

Better may it be to keep a laser on cleaning a path in front of you. hmmm
thinking.....