Re: starship-design: FTL travel

STAR1SHIP@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/20/00 9:46:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:
> >
> >  Light is 3E8 meters per second or 300 meters per microsecond.
> >  With 1 us for echo return,1 us for radar detection and 1 us for
> >  deflection that
> >  means a travel speed something about 1/3C.
>
> echo return time is a function of distance and c only so the pulse out and
> back travels at c period. Not 1/3 c.  velocity=distancetraveled/time so
> time=distance traveled times velocity.

  True, but with the delays of echo return from the object,radar
processesing
and active deflection ( 3 us ) a ship can't be faster than 1/3C or the
ship
will arive at the object before is deflected. Also with time dilation
onboard
processing too will be slowed down, as the view point is from space not
internal
to the ship.

--
"We do not inherit our time on this planet from our parents...
 We borrow it from our children."