RE: Re: Re: starship-design: RE: Bugs again

> You can plug values of v > c into special relativity equations,
> at the cost of ending up with things like time and mass values
> that are complex numbers.  I don't know if I'd call that "legal."
> Find me some complex mass and we'll talk then.  A quantum
> mechanical analysis also indicates that you can either have FTL
> particles that aren't localizable (i.e. observable) or you can't
> have FTL particles at all.

Actually, I think it was AIP News about two weeks ago that was talking about
evidence of a type of neutrino with properties that were imaginary numbers.
( I believe it was spin, but don't quote me.) The scientists who discovered
the effect even stated that if validated, these would have to be tachyons
(faster than light particles).

Every analysis I've ever seen of relativity agrees that if you ignore the
evident causality paradoxes, travel above the speed of light is possible,
there just isn't any way to get there because travel at the speed of light
isn't possible.

Lee