Re: RE: Re: starship-design: scoops and sails and something topush against.

In a message dated 10/16/98 6:37:43 AM, lparker@cacaphony.net wrote:

>Kelly,
>

>> I was saying that colonies don't last long, and seldom are
>
>> started, without a
>
>> practical economic reason for there being there.  Same way lots
>
>> of the US is
>
>> being abandoned since their not much economic draw for it.
>

>> This was in responce to the suggestion from some one that we
>
>> would go out and
>
>> found colonies just because.
>

>Ahh, okay. I understand now. And I was pointing out how colonies didn't just
>
>"start", they began with fishing camps (an economic justification). Without
>
>going into boring historical detail, we are both right, we're just not
>
>talking about quite the same thing.

Right!

>In fact, there were "causes" behind most of the colonies. I was just
>
>pointing out that they were usually preceded by advanced scouts (the
>
>fishermen in most cases, but not all) and were attempting to reach some
>
>haven which they had been told was exceptionally attractive. Unfortunately,
>
>many of them went off course and ended up settling somewhere besides where
>
>they had originally intended, or their "causes" disappeared (frequently
>
>political causes) and the colony subsequently foundered.
>

>You were just taking exception to fishing camps being considered
>
>colonies...which they weren't.

Agree on all points.

>Incidentally, the ones that survived were mostly private ventures of one
>
>variety or another and although they frequently had difficult times at the
>
>beginning they mostly survived because conditions at their landing point
>
>were close to ideal and their cause held up.
>

>There may be lessons here for would be colonists of the planets and other
>
>stars...

Find rich aliens and raise the Jolly Rodger?   Hum...  Works for me!    ;)

Far better then Zenon's "send them out to die for the cause".  Certainly a
agrees with my demand for a profitable colony.

>Lee

Kelly