Re: starship-design: scoops and sails and something to push against

Hi Group,

KellySt@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/9/98 10:06:44 AM, zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl wrote:
>

> >> Further, if people want to propose reasons for interstellar colonization
> >> missions, they'll have to have reasons and patterns that haven't failed on
> >> Earthly colonization projects.
> >>
> >Or quite new reasons that may turn up in a quite different,
> >interplanetary-space society.
>
> Interplanetary societies of humans are unlikely to find any fundamental new laws
>
> of society, culture, psychology, or economics.

You think so? I would've thought that such would only be feasible by careful
societal crafting and research into psychology etc. I think it's foreseeable that
we'll achieve great insights into how humans tick, especially if "uploading"
becomes possible and computer analysis of brain-structure and programming is well
advanced.

Besides saying they won't find anything new is the same as saying that science is
dead, and that's a proposition we're all implicitly assuming is incorrect by
trying to limit our designs to what we can reasonably imagine now. We seem to
agree that we can't predict what might be possible by 2050, and I'd say the same
applies to all the sciences.

> >-- Zenon
>
> Kelly

Adam