RE: starship-design: Interstellar travel-using vacuum..ur point?

> From: "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
>
> > Lee,
> > What causes the bubble?
> > Nels
> >

> Something about the big bang and chaos and the way the universe formed. I
> don't remember the whole theory, but I know that they have been able to
> model it using chaos theory.
>
> Anyway, the Universe looks like a big tub full of soap bubbles with most of
> the stars and matter concentrated in the "film" of the bubbles. We aren't in
> the "film", we're in the middle of one. I've got a picture around here
> somewhere.

No - that "bubble" structure of the Universe you are speaking about
(attributed to the not well understood processes during the Big Bang)
is of much greater dimensions than interstellar spaces in our Galaxy -
it applies to the distribution of galaxies in the intergalactic space.
The bubbles within the Galaxy are much smaller and were
produced quite recently, during the development of the
structure of the Galaxy. As it was pointed out in another post,
they are attributed mostly to supernova explosions and other
events of this type, very, very tiny and local as compared to Big Bang.

-- Zenon Kulpa