RE: starship-design: scoops and sails and something to push against.

> From: "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
>

> >    |    |  H     |     H     H
> >    V    V  |     V     |     |
> >        H   V       H   V     V
> >        |       H   |     H
> >    H   V  H    |   V     |     H
> >    |      |    V      H  V     |
> >    V      V           |        V
> >    - - - - - -      - - - - - -    negative charges
> >    -----------[ship]-----------
> >    + + + + + +      + + + + + +    positive charges
> >    H    H        H
> >    |    |  H     |     H     H
> >    V    V  |     V     |     |
> >        H   V       H   V     V
> >        |       H   |     H
> >    H   V  H    |   V     |     H
> >    |      |    V      H  V     |
> >    V      v           |        v
> >

> The problem is how to generate two monopolar fields? If you simply use two
> grids, your net thrust will be zero.

Statically probably yes.
Hence Kevin wrote about pulsing the fields in some way.
That might work, like the similar trick with pulsing
magnetic fields in electric motors.

> > Umm... Negative?  By stripping away an electron, wouldn't it be
> > positive?  If I'm wrong, then reverse the charges on the above drawing.
>
> I'm not sure, but I think you would end up with both positive and negative
> ions in roughly equal amounts.

Provided that hydrogen atoms are separated by some 1 cm or so
in interstellar space, we would rather get a thin plasma -
a rarified mixture od positive protons and negative electrons.
Which raises another doubt on the possibility for the above
design to work, since protons and electrons would give
opposite thrust to the ship.
Unless the mass difference between them would help...

-- Zenon Kulpa