Re: starship-design: Suspended Animation

Hi Jonathan,

No, this wouldn't happen. The maximum age of an organisms depends upon
the number of cell cycles possible for each different tissue. For
example, a cell from a human lung can only divide up to 50 times. If you
cultivate lung cells in a cell culture and deep-freeze them (in liquid
nitrogen) after their 25th cycle (let's say, for 5 years), they will
continue with cycle Nr. 26 when you thaw them up again - and will
continue to grow at the same speed as before. For the cells, nothing has
happened when they were frozen.

Christoph