Re: RE: starship-design: Numbers needed for Colonization (was Antiproton-Cataly

==>

>> Population Growth:
>
>> As someone pointed out, most industialized countries have
>
>> trouble keeping
>
>> their population CONSTANT, never mind increasing it... Personally I'd
>
>> think that the Knowledge of how having lots of kids is a
>
>> NECCESITY for the
>
>> colony will help somewhat. This is still one of the BIGGEST problems
>
>> Though.
>

>In a frontier economy, even a technological one, children are wealth. A
>
>family with more children can produce more, occupy more land, etc. This is a
>
>somewhat naive and simplified view, the actuality is more complex, but like
>
>the above argument, I think it will take care of itself. The biggest problem
>
>may actually be providing sufficient infrastructure to support such
>
>population growth.

Children were helpfull where you need a lot of unskilled labor.  Now a days
that isn't a factor.  Now kids are a financial liability until they get well
educated, at which point they move out and our no longer a factor for their
parents economics.  I.E. kids are a expensive hobby.

>Lee

Kelly