Re: starship-design: Timothy's beamed power paper

> From: jimaclem@juno.com>
> I thought of a simple solution to this a few hours after sending that
> message.
>
> 				000
> 		        PAYLOAD---->	000	/\
> 				000	|    DIRECTION OF TRAVEL
> 				 00	|
> 				 00
> 	SAIL			   |			SAIL
> ________________________________   |   ________________________________
> \				   |				    /
>  \   			 	   |
>                                             /
>    \  <-----TENSION		   |  <-----Compression
>                       /
>             \	MEMBER			   |           Member
>                                      /
>                 \				   |
>                                         /
>                     \			   |
>                                 /
>                         \			   |
>                                 /
>                             \			   |
>                                 /
>                                 \			   |
>                                 /
>                                     \			   |
>                                 /
>                                         \		   |
>                         /
>                                             \		   |
>                         /
>                                                 \		   |
>                         /
>                                                     \		   |
>                         /
>                                                         \	   |
>                 /
>                                                             \
>  |                 /
>                                                                 \
>   |             /
>                 			            \	   |
> /
> 			                \	   |     /
> 				 \ | /
>

> Lighter than the compression member only idea, and only a little heavier
> than the tension only, especially since it should reduce the shielding
> problem.
>
> Jim

Your use of combined spaces and tabs for the ASCII art above,
together with your (or list's?) mailer bad habit of automatically
breaking longer lines made the construction above unreadable...
Though I catched the general idea, please redraw the design
(shorter lines, space-only character padding) to make it sneak
undamaged through our too-intelligent mail software...

-- Zenon