Re: starship-design: Timothy's beamed power paper

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997 16:49:16 +0200 (MET DST) Zenon Kulpa
<zkulpa@zmit1.ippt.gov.pl> writes:
>> From: jimaclem@juno.com>
>> I thought of a simple solution to this a few hours after sending
>that
>> message.
>>
>> 				000
>> 		        PAYLOAD---->	000	/\
>> 				000	|    DIRECTION OF TRAVEL
>> 				 00	|
>> 				 00
>> 	SAIL			   |			SAIL
>> ________________________________   |
>________________________________
>> \				   |
>   /
>>  \   			 	   |
>
>>                                             /
>>    \  <-----TENSION		   |  <-----Compression
>>                       /
>>             \	MEMBER			   |
>Member
>>                                      /
>>                 \				   |
>
>>                                         /
>>                     \			   |
>
>>                                 /
>>                         \			   |
>
>>                                 /
>>                             \			   |
>
>>                                 /
>>                                 \			   |
>
>>                                 /
>>                                     \			   |
>
>>                                 /
>>                                         \		   |
>
>>                         /
>>                                             \		   |
>
>>                         /
>>                                                 \
>|
>>                         /
>>                                                     \
>>                         /
>>                                                         \
>|
>>                 /
>>                                                             \

>>  |                 /
>>                                                                 \
>
>>   |             /
>>                 			            \	   |
>
>> /
>> 			                \	   |     /
>> 				 \ | /
>>

>> Lighter than the compression member only idea, and only a little
>heavier
>> than the tension only, especially since it should reduce the
>shielding
>> problem.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>Your use of combined spaces and tabs for the ASCII art above,
>together with your (or list's?) mailer bad habit of automatically
>breaking longer lines made the construction above unreadable...
>Though I catched the general idea, please redraw the design
>(shorter lines, space-only character padding) to make it sneak
>undamaged through our too-intelligent mail software...
>
>-- Zenon

Oops, sorry bout' that.  Here goes again.

                 payload -->  OO
    compression  mbr.  ||
_________________     __________________
\                                        ||
           /
    \                                    ||
      /
         \                               ||
 /
tension mbr. \                ||                /
                                      \  ||  /

Hope this is better.  The sail pulls a column that passes through the
sail, with the payload on top, away from the Earth side of the sail.

Jim