Re: starship-design: Re: Why go to the stars? - Kyle

Steve VanDevender wrote:

> I guess you haven't seen the designs for interstellar spacecraft that
> actually use hydrogen bombs for thrust.  The British Interplanetary
> Society floated one of the proposals.  Just build a big durable plate,
> put your payload and a stack of H-bombs on one side, and every so often
> toss an H-bomb behind the plate and detonate it.

Wasn't that called Orion? I think I saw something about that around here
(in LIT database). Too bad about the Space Nuclear Test Ban. As Carl
Sagan said: A nuclear pulse starship seems the best use for nuclear
weapons that I can see.

(Or blowing up pesky asteroids that come to close)