Re: starship-design: Re: Why go to the stars? - Kyle

kyle writes:
 > Timothy van der Linden wrote:
 > >
 > > Kyle commented:
 > >
 > > >Want to get there quick? Use my engine. T=2(D/a)^.5
 > >
 > > That still means more than 6 years to travel 10 ly. (assuming 1g acceleration)

 > Actually, its only 3.16 years to travel 10 ly. (The number I gave was
 > for a round trip.) To Tau Ceti, one-way would be: 3.4496 years, round
 > trip: 6.8992 years. The time makes more sense at farther distances.
 > (1000ly 31.6 years to get there).

Actually, I think your numbers are completely bogus because your
equation isn't grounded in reality.  Even if you are using some sort of
FTL drive (and that FTL drive actually worked) it won't be immune to
relativistic effects.  FTL won't eliminate time dilation effects even if
it did allow travel faster than light.