RE: starship-design: Re: Why go to the stars?

Timothy and Antonio,

Consider this scenario:

A "sponsor" could be a government, a multi-national corporation or consortium, or it could be a company formed by the colonists, specifically for the purpose of equiping and sending a colony to another system. Something like "The Tau Ceti Development Corporation", or the "Chartered Procyon Expedition". Such groups would most likely be composed of people with common idealogies, interests or backgrounds. After all, what else were the Puritans who sailed to Plymouth if not a private company chartered for the express purpose of establishing a new colony. It is only a matter of scale...

Lee Parker