Re: starship-design: Re: Quantum Gravity

> From: TLG.van.der.Linden@tip.nl (Timothy van der Linden)
>
> >>Not necessarily, there may be something underneath space-time.
> >>That is, something that provides the building blocks for space-time.
> >>Just like nature provides ways to enhance the building blocks of today's
> >>computer (and thus allows to increase the speed of the masterclock, nature
> >>may also provide ways to enhance the velocity of information transfer.
> >
> >I wonder - does the software running on a computer
> >have an access to the computer's master clock?
> >E.g., can it make it tick faster?
>
> No, but *we* can make it faster.

But in the "cellular automaton model" of the universe,
*we* are the software (or rather, even something more abstract:
the patterns of cell states produced by software,
consider "gliders" and "spaceships" in the game of "life"...).

> >Even if so, it will not change the situation
> >within the world modelled by the cellular automaton -
> >ticks may become shorter (in the whole computer's frame
> >of reference...), but the amount of action
> >per tick will be still the same (hence c will not change).
>
> Indeed, this is the case with FTL theories where space is warped long before
> a trip is made. Ie. The formation of the "wormhole" is still limited by c.
> After the wormhole is established one may go through it and reach a
> destination in a faster way.

This amounts to local change of the topology of space
in the cellular model.
It is doubtful if the "patterns of cell states"
(i.e., *we*) can do that...

> >The only way to go faster within world's frame of reference
> >would be to change the topology of cell connections:
> >i.e., make more cells around any given one be "adjacent"
> >to it (that is, accessible in a single tick).
> >But this also will not make FTL possible -
> >it will only make the limit speed (c) higher.
>
> True, but I suggested, that there may be something underneath space-time,
> something that isn't discrete.

True, but then *we* would have no access to this level of the world.

-- Zenon, The Cell Patttern No. 3945768180994076891...640294787628490923984
   (or something ;-)