Re: starship-design: Quantum Gravity

> From: "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
> To: "'LIT Starship Design Group'" <starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu>
>
> I apologize if this is old news to anybody, but it sounds interesting
> since it relates (slightly) to this group's objective -
>
> [...]
>
> The idea that space and time may not be continuous but are built,
> like matter, from very tiny "atomic building blocks" is not new-it was
> proposed previously by Roger Penrose, of Oxford University and Penn State,
> and other physicists and mathematicians. The work of Rovelli and Smolin
> is, however, the first to show that these discrete structures are required
> by the laws of quantum mechanics and relativity theory.
>
> [...]
If that proves to be true (whatever "true" exactly means),
it will relate to our objective quite significantly.

Namely, it will mean that our Universe is like a 3(or more)-D
cellular automaton (just like a giant version of Conway's game "Life"),
which in turn will mean that FTL is really impossible
(and explain why - you cannot shift bits in your computer
faster than one tick of your master clock...).

Moreover, then all will have to go digital... ;-))

-- Zenon