Re: starship-design: Zero point energy: Power source

KellySt@aol.com writes:
 > >A revolution in physics that makes FTL possible will change a lot of
 > >other things too.  It's just not as easy as saying "yes, you really can
 > >make something go FTL"; you have to reconcile the FTL effects with a lot
 > >of other things.  I know, and most physicists admit, that the "causal
 > >ordering principle" is just an assumption, not a proven law of nature,
 > >but there are also no known violations of it, making it a pretty safe
 > >assumption.
 >
 > Conservation of mass was an equally universally true and fundamental
 > assumption until a couple of decades ago.

Umm, so far as I've heard conservation of mass/energy has remained a
proven principle in physics since it was postulated.  I certainly
haven't seen anyone claim to have found a violation.

 > >Sublight interstellar travel will really require a different cultural
 > >mindset than we currently apply to exploration.  It will certainly
 > >require an outlook more oriented towards pure exploration rather than on
 > >short-term return.
 >
 > More then that.  The rediculasly poor return on such projects.  I.E. it could
 > be decades to centuries to get back any info.  Puts them in an uncomfortable
 > catch-22.  If you really want the info, your not going to be that patient.
 >  If your not in that much of a hurry.  Why not wait a couple more deacades
 > (or centuries) for the launches?

That's part of the change in mindset.  What if you just wanted to find
out for yourself?

In any case any information found can be sent back at c, making the
return as fast as physically possible.