starship-design: FW: SSRT: Space Subcommittee authorizes another X-vehicle (fwd)

Long experience has taught me not to believe in the limitations indicated by purely theoretical considerations. These - as we well know - are based on insufficient knowledge of all the relevant factors."

Guglielmo Marconi

-----Original Message-----
From:	Chris W. Johnson [SMTP:chrisj@mail.utexas.edu]
Sent:	Tuesday, April 15, 1997 1:33 AM
To:	Single Stage Rocket Technology News
Subject:	SSRT: Space Subcommittee authorizes another X-vehicle (fwd)

--------

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 17:18:58 -0700 (MST)
From: Donald Doughty <doughtd@pr.erau.edu>
To: DC-X <delta-clipper@world.std.com>
Subject: NEWS: Space Subcommittee authorizes another X-vehicle!! (fwd)

The key words in this bill are "technologies more advanced than," does
this mean an SSTO VL vehicle not an option for this funding?
Can this be changed during the bill markup? See section II below.

..Don Doughty, DC-X List Manager

        (II) $150,000,000, which shall only be a
             program of focused technology demonstrations
             to support the competitive awarding of a
             contract to develop, build, and flight test
             an experimental single-stage-to-orbit
             demonstration vehicle using design concepts
             different from, and technologies more
             advanced than, the design concepts and
             technologies used for the X-33 program; and