Re: Space questions...

At 10:16 AM 7/23/96, Kevin C Houston wrote:
>>third
>> >important
>>gaining an
>> >position
>>
>> No, in the interviews I saw, the U.S. reps said the third world reps
>> honestly didn't understand where the U.S. was coming from.  They had all
>> agreed on the idea that space and oceans were the common heratige of
>> mankind and everyone should get equal access rights.  They just didn't
>> understand why the U.S. would think that didn't imply an equal share of the
>> profits.
>>
>> Eiather way, its not like the first guy out there could claim all the best
>> planets.  Much less that the third world could get out their on their own
>> in the next century.
>>
>So, the US goes to the moon, mines ore, and charges a fortune for it.
>This pays back the high developement cost, and since there is no
>competiton, they make back the startup cost.  after a few years, some
>smaller country decides they want  a piece of the pie.  So they send
>their own mining contingent to the moon, but find that the US can always
>undercharge for the ore, because the startup cost has been paid back.
>This is what I was talking about.
>Kevin

Thats possible.  But the R&D cost of the equipment would also be paid for
international who wanted to buy the equip.  (assuming we'ld sell.)  Sort of
how the current B-2 bombers cost $1 billion dollars, but any more would
cost about $400 million.  <Overhead kills you.>

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company
(Magnavox URL: http://www.fw.hac.com/external.html)