un-BinHex-ing

Timothy van der Linden writes:
 > Kevin wrote:
 > >Well, I was gonna say something about this too, but steve beat me to it.
 > >I too am having difficulty decoding your attachment.  can you maybe put it
 > on >the web site? images are easy to download from there.
 >
 > To those unlucky ones and using windows (is that a pleonasm?) there is a
 > program called WinCode it is able to en/decode several formats
 > (BinHex,Base64,UUencode and a few others). Try getting version 2.6.6 its
 > about 600 kb zipped.
 >
 > Also the mail-program Windows Eudora decodes BinHex automatically (the light
 > version of Eudora is free).
 >
 > Tim

I use Linux and read all my mail using the VM package that runs in GNU
Emacs.  I can unpack MIME messages and uudecode stuff.  I don't have a
binhex utility, and I can't use a binhex utility that runs under
Windows.

If you're going to use MIME attachements, at least use the standard
base64 encoding, or uuencode as a second choice.  No other formats are
either standard or widely available on different machines.