Re: Plasma mirror

Kelly wrote:
>Seems the navy lab is now testing a plasma mirror for use in ship board
>radar systems.  (Aviation Week June 10/ p 50)  The radar would focus on the
>stearable plasma sheet.  The test sheet was 1 cm thick and 60 x 60 cm
>square.  They are working on upgrading it to a 1.2 - 2 meter square.  It
>bounces microwaves in the 5-20 GHz range and they think similar system
>could work up to 50 GHz.  The current unit needs 2 amps and 20 kilovolts to
>keep it runing.

I assume this is a stationary plasma field, that is kept at the ship. How
fast would such a sheet render useless after the power has been cut off?
When we would use it as retro mirror, it NEEDS to be loose from the starship.
We need to scale this thing up to many hundreds of square meters and several
meters thick (the radiation pressure is much higher).

>Interesting hey?

Yes, are you clearvoyant?

Timothy