Re: Post singularity society

At 12:53 AM 6/18/96, Timothy van der Linden wrote:
>>>One should consider what abilities one would like to have, speaking 20
>>>languages fluently? Being able to compute the most difficult mathematical
>>>problems, figuring out the laws of the universe? Or how to love, to life in
>>>this world among and with others?
>>
>>Whats wrong with choosing all of the above?  They are not exclusive.
>
>Indeed, but that was not what I was trying to say. Would you want everything
>that is possible at once? Never ever struggle to get something? I know it
>sounds tempting at first, but then after a while you may get really bored.
>And second, living in this world among and with others doesn't sound like
>there is a "chip" for that, it's something that should be unique for every
>person.
>I'm not saying that nothing should be used, but that I wonder if you really
>want to use it all.

Old rule of automation.  You can use the systems to do what you alread do
faster, or to do stuff you couldn't do before in the same time.  Right now
most of what used to take up all of human lives takes up virtually no time,
and new things (education, hygene, reading, lierature, science, and other
'frills') have expanded to fill the space.  No doubt if routine education,
bookkeeping, manufacturing and such start to take up no effecive time,
people will do more things with the free time.  <Like building starships?
;) >

When the old chalenges become simple we'll try something harder.

>>>Another viewpoint is this:
>>>Today we are wondering, how should we treat nature, our origin and mother?
>>
>>Generally welth leads to more interest in keeping your home (and planet)
>>clean.  Such luxuries are unaffordable by the poor.  Hence the higher
>>pollution in the third world, versus the developed world.
>>
>>Huuummm
>>Of course since I just mentioned my concern that we would start to become
>>very freaky to the third world.  That may just become an increased source
>>of friction.  (Then as now.)
>
>If these AI's are really so smart and handy, they should be able to create
>an nice world for everyone. The term wealth is a bit vague, it should be
>possible to create a balanced world (in all ways) that gives everyone enough
>space and wealth to be very comfortable. I understand that this may mean
>that populations should shrink, I think this is only a temporarily problem.
>If the population should increase then the only solution would be to live in
>space (or another starsystem) but I'm sure that would solve itself.
>

>Timothy

Don't see the connection.  We have the technology and resources to make a
nice wealthy world for everyone now.  Doesn't mean everyone can or will
join in.  (No we don't need to shrink the population.)

Ah to "..create a balanced world (in all ways).." is a little vague.  But
again resorces and tech arn't the problem now, and certainly wouldn't be
later.

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company