Re: Re: Summary A

Brian 11:16 PM CT 3/5/96

Timothy van der Linden

> >>Yes, I meant fusion. What kind of health problems does renewable energy
> >>have? Are solar-panels also dangerous?
> >
> >Mainly industrial accident problems.  Solar especially causes a lot of
> >induystrial accident per amount of power since its a lot of little
> >distributed systems.

> What kind of accidents should I think of? Exploding batteries,
> electrical shortcuts?

Kelly
>Normal stuff, falls, smashing glass, electrical shorts, etc...  Solar
>requires a lot of hands on work out of doors.  It has one of the highest
>labor overhead rates of major power systems.  So a lot of folks get hurt.
>think about 10-20 times as much as coal or nukes.

Brian
YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING.  PLEASE!  TELL ME YOU ARE KIDDING!
(sound of Brian banging his head against the wall)
We're counting on the lifeblood of our starship (the power) to come from
HUGE solar arrays.  PLEASE TELL ME THAT OBSCENE MESSAGE WAS JUST A JOKE!

You said there were glass shattering problems.  Aren't there soft plastic
materials that hold enough form to be good mirrors for solar energy
collection.

This is a nightmare.