Re: Mirrors (first draft)

At 10:57 AM 3/5/96, Brian Mansur wrote:
>Brian 10:50 AM CT 3/5/96,
>
>Thanks for the comments.  I'll try to reply to them in a day or two (I'll be
>busy for the rest of this week on School Club activities and homework).  But
>here's a little something.
>
>[much discussion deleted]
>
>>Brian
>>So much for bolstering my hybid design.  By the way.  From now on I'm going
>>to officially call it an ARGOSY class starship.  Since I'll probably have
>>nothing better to do over spring break (like relaxing?), I'll see if I can
>>improve my design.  Expect to see a lot of ideas borrowed from the Explorer
>>design.  I should at least be able to give the group a decent description
>>along with a critic of the problems associated with the thing.  Oh, and a
>>long list of assumptions as well.
>
>>Kelly
>>Great!  I was hoping we'ld get a fleet of compeating ship designs!  We can
>>try to cross link our pages when they are uploaded by Dave.
>
>>Let me know if you want copies or help.
>
>Brian
>A word of warning is that I still have to work with BMP.  I'm afraid that I
>wasn't able to download the GIF program you gave me so all I can do for now
>is send bit demons.  I can do some decent drawings with the bit however and
>I will over the break.  I was wondering if you could compress them and send
>them on to the rest of the group so that their hard drives don't explode.

I'm not sure I can handel BMP files.  I'm sure I didn't send you a program
given that my stuff is all Macintosh, and it sound like you are an IBMer.

>Glad to hear that you're enthusiastic about the idea.  I'm beginning to see
>already that much of the ARGOSY design will be vague, however.  It figure
>that it will at least have a similar summary as see in my Hybrid first draft
>plus troubleshooting points.
>
>By the way, something I also plan to get to is an e-mail discussing the
>decel problems with the EXPLORER.  Its a great idea if drag can be overcome
>with minimal power losses.  Loading the decel/reacel track is also a pain.

Stoping these things is a nightmare!  We can't carry enough fuel (unless
the ships get EXTREEAME), and we can't beam it, because the beam only
pushes one way.

Perhaps we're using these beams wrong?  hummm.

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company
(Magnavox URL: http://www.fw.hac.com/external.html)