Re:

At 5:46 PM 2/13/96, L. Parker wrote:
>Nick,
>
>I have been thinking about the problem of changing the configuration of the
>sweep field to deceleration mode and have an idea to suggest.
>
>Suppose that we make a few minor :-) changes:
>
>1) Design it to be double ended with respect to the Lineac (Stellarator?) so
>that either end can be intake or exhaust.
>
>2) Mount the sweep field equipment generators on a ring at each end of the
>ship, slightly ahead of (or behind) the actual inlet/outlet.
>
>By doing this, we can use the field at the front (?) end during acceleration
>and the field at the back during deceleration. With the direction of travel
>being to the left in both cases, this would appear like this in acceleration:
>
>     \
>      \
>       \---------
>        ---------
>       /
>      /
>     /
>
>and like this during deceleration:
>
>           \
>            \
>             \
>    ----------
>    ----------
>             /
>            /
>           /
>
>See the attached JPEG file for design modification.
>
>During the deceleration phase, the field at the front can be reduced and
>inverted to maintain a shield for the ship while still funneling reaction
>mass into the rear ring. The rear sweep field will provide braking like a
>parachute whether or not you actually run the engines. In fact, if you go
>into deceleration and don't run the engines for a while, you could actually
>replinish onboard reaction mass by simply scooping it up.

Ah, we'ld always been assuming the accelerator core could work eaither way
(thou only the frount would have a scoop).  I'm afriad the double scoops
are more trouble then they are worth.  Especiall given that we were talking
about scops/sails hundreds to thousands of kilometers across.

>AS was pointed out (by you?) now it is simply a matter of reversing the
>current flow. Looking at drag issues and field dynamics you would want the
>ability to "tune" the fields by changing their size and density, do a
>particle/mass density calculation on H+ ions entering a ONE sq/km scoop at
>.99 c and I think you will find something like 3e14 PARTICLES PER SECOND
>(not adjusted for relativistic effects). You MIGHT want to be able to change
>this!
>
>While this CAN be done with wire mesh, it would be far better if we could do
>it with fields alone. Then we could dispense with the doble ended design
>entirely and probably increase the scoop efficiency as well. As was pointed
>out in relation to one of your earlier posts, too bad we don't know how...
>
>Another thought: I have already mentioned this idea to Kelly but maybe you
>might want to look at it also. As an alternative to Kevin's beamed Microwave
>proposal, suppose we could generate an MHD field externally along the length
>of the ship and using a field design similar in shape to the Aurora project

The Aurora's don't generate magnetic fields around themselves.  The various
designs under testing use internal or exteral scramjets and turbo-ramjets.
Not MHD thrusters.

>aircraft, generate a fusion rocket outside the ship? Sort of a ring around
>the ship's middle spaced apart by some distance through which the RM is
>funneled by the sweep field and then compressed by MHD fields until it
>achieves fusion density and exhausts past a sharp field break that acts as a
>venturi.

This sounds like a Bussard Ramscoop, which unfortunatly we couldn't build.

>Not to change the subject, but was it you who said something about not being
>able to use cyclotrons? I believe acceleration does not occur until exhaust....
>
>Lee Parker
>
>Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:Asimov.jpg (JPEG/JVWR) (000087D2)
>+  Weave a circle 'round him thrice, and close your eyes with holy dread...   +

Kelly Starks

Kelly Starks                       Internet: kgstar@most.fw.hac.com
Sr. Systems Engineer
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company