RE:

 ----------
From: KellySt
Date: Wednesday, February 28, 1996 11:56PM

> To Kelly,

> Most of your letters sounded familiar, only two things I want to say:

Draft text Externally fueled Fusion drive
======================
>> How do you shove a few kilometres of clouds? Especially during
acceleration
>> and deceleration a lot of cloud-rebuilding will be needed.

>Ion cannon.  Since the dust is light, it would take little power to throw
it
>that far ahead.  The parts that fall back on the ship can be reused, the
rest
>would need to be replaced.  Since you spend most of the mission coasting
its
>not a big problem.

Just stating the obvious here, I'd note that keeping a dust cloud close
enough to your ship when decelerating would be a big problem with anything
but an ion/fusion drive.  With the ion/fusion drive the ion exhaust would
serve the same purpose as a dust cloud since it is being spewed in the
direction of flight.

Brian