Re: Mini SD-newsletter

Subject: Pre-loading the decell track
Author : Timothy
ReplyTo: Kevin Houston

>Yes, but at some point in the deceleration we will have to be moving at
>some arbitraily slow speed, let's say for the sake of argument that we
>want to see how the "Asimov" gets fuel while moving at .01 C (a speed of
>3 million meters a second)  in order to get fuel to T.C. with a speed of
>3E+06, it will have to be launched 1200 years before the ship!

I was aware of that problem and wrote it but you didn't quote that part, so
I write it once more:

< Of course there is a minimum limit speed for the slowest and first package:
< The slower it moves the earlier it has to be send to TC. If we would need real
< slow packets we would need sending them now already.

I hadn't done any calculations, but am glad you did. Any speed less than
top-speed would be a gain. 0.3c would be more acceptable with respect to
0.8c, but of course not enough.

>Even if
>you cut off the fuel supply at a speed of .1 C (and how can you slow down
>from this insane speed without fuel?)

OK you wonder how to decelerate even further? Easy, don't burn all the fuel
from the packets as soon as you get a hold of them. OK, the ship gets a bit
heavier and would be a bit more difficult to decelerate, but every system
has some advantages. That extra bit of weight/fuel should be just enough to
decelerate from 0.1c to 0.0c.

>you'd need to launch fuel 120 years
>ahead of ship launch.  The U.S. (or others by the way) political scene
>would never stay focused for that length of time.  It's preety dicey as
>to whether or not they'd leave the maser beam alone for two years (earth
>time) never mind 120!

Yes, 120 years is too much, but that would also mean that the energy costs
would be spread over more years than using direct beaming.

>I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is _no_ way you
>could pre-load the decell track of a target like Tau Ceti.  Maybe, Just
>Maybe, You could do it for Alpha Centauri, but not Tau ceti.  and since
>the target is Tau Ceti, we need a better way.  Either beam the power, or
>figure out how to use the Interstellar Medium (ISM) as a brake.  I say
>that beaming the power is the quickest easiest solution.

Hey I never said it was such a good idea, I only tried to show that
pre-loading would be possible.
As I am sure you know, both theories you mentioned have many hooks and eyes too.
We still haven't done good calculations of what the energy costs would be
for these theories.