starship-design: Fwd: nasa nuke rocket articles mars by 2010

Last Friday NASA got approval for a nuclear propulsion program, and It looks
like Bush will announce a man to Mars by 2010 program.  They hope the project
will push tech, and make engineering more apealling to kids.

Of more interest s that they are even considering nuclear powered RLV's.  One
idea had the hot hydrogen exaust from a nuclear thermal Rocket, mixed witrh
air and burned.  THAT WOULD HAVE A HELL OF A SPEC IMPULSE!!!!  I'm guessing
something effectivly showing 5,000 isp in the air!!

VERY COOL!

;)

Kelly Starks

>                        19 January 2003: NASA plans two-month manned dash

> to Mars, LA Times

>                      article via The Age

> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/01/18/1042520819544.html

>  NASA plans two-month manned dash

                   to Mars

                   January 19 2003

                   By Duncan Campbell

                   Los Angeles

                   The United States was hoping to send

                   an astronaut to Mars in a

                   nuclear-powered rocket within eight

                   years, said a senior NASA official.

                   Under the space agency's ambitious

                   plan, the project would involve a

                   two-month journey to Mars in a

                   spaceship travelling at three times the

                   present speed of space travel.

                   President George Bush may

                   announce the plan, termed Project

                   Prometheus, in his State of the Union

                   address on January 28, the Los Angeles Times reported.

                   The plan would commit the US to the exploration of Mars

as a

                   priority, and herald the development of a nuclear-powered

                   propulsion system.

                   The first voyage could be as early as 2010.

                   The plan brings to mind the words of President John

Kennedy, who,

                   on May 25, 1961, said: "I believe that this nation should

commit

                   itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out,

of landing a

                   man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth."

                   On July 20, 1969, Apollo XI landed on the area known as

the Sea of

                   Tranquillity.

                   A NASA administrator, Sean O'Keefe, said: "We're talking

about

                   doing something, on a very aggressive schedule, to not

only

                   develop the capabilities for nuclear propulsion and power

                   generation, but to have a mission using the new

technology within

                   this decade."

                   Nasa would be expected to ask Boeing to assist in the

design of

                   the new rocket.

                   Spacecraft at present travel at 28,000kmh.

                   The goal is to build a vehicle that uses small nuclear

reactors to

                   give the engines greater thrust and circumvent problems

of fuel

                   supply.

                   This would mean that the craft could reach Mars within

two months

                   as opposed to six to seven months.

                   "We've been restricted to the same speed for 40 years,"

Mr

                   O'Keefe said.

                   "With the new technology, where we go next will be

limited only by

                   our imagination."

                   There may, however, be limitations of a different kind.

                   With the US entering a recession and facing the potential

costs of

                   attacking Iraq, Congress may not be willing to sign a

blank cheque

                   for a multi-billion-dollar project with no guarantee of

success.

                   Part of the attraction now for the project would be the

stimulus it

                   could provide for scientists and engineers.

                   Many pioneers of space travel have retired, or are about

to retire,

                   and they are not being replaced.

                   And the numbers of students enrolling in tertiary science

and

                   engineering courses have declined.

                   Some observer say a Mars project could improve the

industry's

                   image.

                   The project throws up many questions about the effects of

such

                   travel on humans.

                   Already astronauts are returning to Earth with a decrease

of up to

                   30 per cent in their muscle mass and 10 per cent in bone

mass.

                   The more arduous flight to Mars would increase such

problems.

                   And there would be medical concerns about nuclear

radiation.

                     * From Cape Canaveral, BROWARD LISTON reports that

astronauts in

                   the space shuttle Columbia spent their first full day in

space working on

                   experiments on subjects ranging from dust storms to

prostate cancer.

                   Israel's first astronaut, Ilan Ramon, worked on an

Earth-study project

                   called MEIDEX (for Mediterranean Israeli dust

experiment), which

                   aims to film dust storms that sweep off the Sahara Desert

and

                   spread around much of the planet. The effect of such

suspended

                   particles (aerosols) on global climate has never been

studied in

                   such detail.

                   Other Columbia astronauts were working on a study

designed to

                   show how prostate cancer spreads to bones and how bone

cells

                   react in zero gravity.

                   Columbia's seven astronauts are working two 12-hour

shifts,

                   meaning 24-hour research on the 16-day mission, one of

the

                   longest in the shuttle program's history.

======================

> http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/4967388.htm

                      NASA eyes nuclear-powered rocket

                      Agency expected to seek funding to develop way to

travel 3 times faster

                      PETER PAE

                      Los Angeles Times

                      Hoping to pave the way for the human exploration of

Mars within the next

                      decade, the National Aeronautics and Space

Administration is expected to

                      announce that developing a nuclear-powered rocket is

its top research priority.

                      The space agency is expected to request "significant

resources and funding" to

                      design a nuclear-powered propulsion system to triple

the speed of current space

                      travel, theoretically making it possible for humans to

reach Mars in a two-month

                      voyage.

                      The Bush administration has signed off on the

ambitious nuclear-rocket

                      propulsion project, dubbed Project Prometheus --

though not specifically for the

                      Mars landing -- and the president may officially

launch the initiative during his

                      State of the Union address on Jan. 28, NASA

Administrator Sean O'Keefe said.

                      The initiative would greatly expand the nuclear

propulsion plans that NASA

                      quietly announced last year when the agency said it

may spend $1 billion over

                      the next five years to design a nuclear rocket.

                      NASA and the Bush administration are keeping the lid

on the details, including

                      how much more it expects to request from Congress, but

O'Keefe said the

                      funding increase will be "very significant."
--- Begin Message ---
 I wonder if they'll need any contractors.

:)

--- End Message ---