RE: starship-design: HOTOL SeaDragon idea.

There are no true anti-matter storage containers yet. (There aren't any
anti-atoms to store in one if we had one.) Scientists are still
experimenting with various methods of containing anti-atoms (anti-matter).
Unless the atom carries a charge (an anti-ion), there does not seem to be a
simple way to isolate the atom from contact normal matter.

Current anti-matter storage vessels are called Penning Traps. They are about
the size of a small hot water heater. They are transportable and can carry
sufficient numbers of anti-protons for research and medical usage. Note that
these store only anti-particles, anti-protons to be exact.

In the last few months, several different researchers have claimed to have
created anti-atoms and their evidence to support their claims is being
evaluated by the scientific community. The jury is still out.

At the moment, the front runners in  the deep space reaction engine market
appear to be VASIMR and ACMF. VASIMR is basically a microwave pumped plasma
engine, ACMF stands for Anti-proton Catalyzed Micro Fusion. True fusion
rockets will probably never be used, the performance stats for ACMF are
better than the theoretical performance of fusion engines if we ever figure
out how to make one. It is expected that ACMF will lead to development of a
true anti-matter drive in a few decades.

Lee Parker

It is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire trembling.
The trembling becomes a warning.
It is by coffee alone I set my mind in motion.

-- Frank Herbert