Re: starship-design: HOTOL SeaDragon idea.

In a message dated 12/4/02 7:19:52 PM, bfranchuk@jetnet.ab.ca writes:

> > To dangerous and unstable.  I doubt it would be competative with >fusion.
>
>Other than anti-matter induced fusion regular fusion does not look
>to have the mass/thust ratio needed. Also anti-matter fusion looks
>practial in the near future compared to the +20 years for conventional
>development.

In space its the specific impulse that is more critical.  And its not clear
that a anti-mater system would have a better thrust to weight ration.  You
forget the extream weight ratin of the antimater storage and handeling gear.

Also, fusino propulsion - or power - is generally considered doiable in a
short term dev program if there is focused work on it.

Kelly