Re: starship-design: HOTOL SeaDragon idea.

KellySt@aol.com wrote:
320 isp with LOx/LH?? Thats hardly better then the numbers for the LOx/Kerosine engines of the '60's? Its actually worse then the current gen of LOx/Kero engines which get up to 350 isp! Shuttle LOx/LH engines get about 450isp!

A 747 has a empty weight about half its max takeoff weight. Course it has to takeoff at slower speeds. I think lift is one of those V^2 things. Given the size of this monster, it can handal light seas at speed. Probably lift off into its ground effect, then run up into far high speeds for assent. (lots of open ocean out there.) So possibly tripling its speed to 450-500ish mph could get you 9 times the take off weight? That big Russuan surface effect ship had numbers like that.
The problem with Rocket design is because things are so sensitive to
the isp factor a minor change can throw a design right out the window.
I think a smallish designed craft can be optinum for mass/payload in
the 800 kg/2400 kg range providing the second stage is unmanned to
a fixed space platform. Has any work on a third stage using microwave
or solar powered engine that stays in orbit and captures the second
stage?
1st stage -- air breathing/wings manned
2nd stage -- payload pod /winged reentry
3rd stage == booster shuttle/space frame
Ben.