Re: Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

> From owner-starship-design@lists.uoregon.edu Fri Jan 18 05:37:35 2002
> From: Curtis Manges <clmanges@yahoo.com>
>
> --- KellySt@aol.com wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 1/15/02 8:54:08 PM, toxicroach@swbell.net
> >
> > >Oh wow.  Eco-freak on the list.

[...]
> > ;)
> >
> > I'm expecting they "how dare we go forth into space when we messed
> > up (mother) Earth so much".
>
> Think about it: if I felt that way, I wouldn't be on this list,
> would I?

Concerning eco-freaks vs. space, you may find it interesting to
look at  http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SPBI100.HTM
The author of that pages have had a rough time trying to
advance his ideas in green literature...

[...]
> Finally, on the frame-and-panel construction, isn't that best done
> with triangles instead of squares? Geodesic domes come to mind, and I
> seem to recall them being based mostly on triangles. The problem of
> sealing the panels is a tough one, mostly due to thermal expansion
> coefficients, I suspect. It makes me wonder if there might be a way
> to run some coolant through the pipes to keep the framework all
> within a decent temperature range to minimize flexing between the
> 'dayside' and the 'nightside' of the structure. Any thoughts on that?

You think of surface structures only? Because for space-filling
structures dividing space into habitable rooms, squares may be better...
Concerning cooling problems, see the water-cooled window concept at
http://www.islandone.org/LEOBiblio/SPBI1GH.HTM

-- Zenon