Fwd: Re: starship-design: Hi, from a newbie

--- KellySt@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/15/02 8:54:08 PM, toxicroach@swbell.net
> writes:
>
> >Oh wow.  Eco-freak on the list.

Yeah, well, as you've been quick to point out, it's a thankless job,
but someone has to do it.

By the way, I'm a Democrat, too.

> ;)
>
> I'm expecting they "how dare we go forth into space when we messed
> up
> (mother) Earth so much".

Think about it: if I felt that way, I wouldn't be on this list, would
I?

> >B) What is the "proper" use of resources, in your opinion?
>
> Good question.

The answer depends on context, which is the whole point I've been
trying to make. The use of resources has, thus far on Earth, been
decided largely by default as whatever supports a market (or
occasionally a war). With so much stuff available, we haven't had to
think much about where it came from or where it went when we were
done with it. Aboard a spacecraft or colony, it will not be so.
Consider as an example the disposal of human waste aboard the ISS. Do
those folks throw away the water every time they take a leak? Unless
I'm mistaken, I believe they are drinking it.

We are getting better in our practices here at home, simply because
industry is beginning to realize that they can save money by
recycling the stuff they used to just dump in the river.

Oh, and all that paper that Ben likes? It's soon to be supplanted by
electronic notepads; prototypes are in development now. Save a tree,
scribble on a microchip. ;)

On the proliferation of microprocessors, I told a friend not long
ago, that, by the time we get into space in any meaningful way, we
won't have to worry about the Borg; we'll _be_ the Borg. There are
folks who are now working on integrating computers into clothing,
shoes, glasses, etc. The prototypes are awfully clunky, but I expect
to live to see the day when you simply won't be able to tell who's
wired and who isn't.

Some people are distressed by such proliferation; to me, it's just
technology advancing, as it always does. It's just in our nature to
keep improving things.

Finally, on the frame-and-panel construction, isn't that best done
with triangles instead of squares? Geodesic domes come to mind, and I
seem to recall them being based mostly on triangles. The problem of
sealing the panels is a tough one, mostly due to thermal expansion
coefficients, I suspect. It makes me wonder if there might be a way
to run some coolant through the pipes to keep the framework all
within a decent temperature range to minimize flexing between the
'dayside' and the 'nightside' of the structure. Any thoughts on that?

Curtis

=====
get the facts! visit www.worldnews.com